“It is necessary, and even vital, to set standards for your life and the people you allow in it.”
~ Mandy Hale
He treats you like his girlfriend BUT also says he doesn’t want a relationship. This is the classic scenario of someone giving mixed messages. The actions and the verbal messages don’t match. It can lead to you feeling confused and devalued.
My question for you is, “What is it about YOU that is allowing this kind of scenario to continue?”
While the temptation may be to blame him for sending mixed messages, the reality is that it takes two people to go along with something for it to actually continue. Relationship dynamics become reinforced over time with both partners agreeing to them whether they realize it or not.
So, take a moment and ask yourself:
- What am I doing to allow this dynamic to keep happening in this relationship?
- What beliefs about myself are contributing to this confusing scenario?
- Why am I not speaking up in order to get more clarity?
- What do I want this relationship to look like?
- Am I willing to let go of this person if things don’t change?
When it comes down to it, your opinion is important, and YOU ARE WORTH IT!
You are worth being with a boyfriend who doesn’t play games with you. So, the real question is DO you believe this too?
Melissa King, MA, LPC, NCC – www.firelightcounseling.com
You may not, except with express written permission, distribute or commercially exploit the content. Nor may you transmit it or store it in any other website or other form of electronic retrieval system.